Monday, July 15, 2019

DFL vs DNF

2019 Lake Whatcom Triathlon was not as I had hoped.
- Morning jitters
-Pre race stomach issues
-Skipped allergy med and low on inhaler
-Race start
-Choppy grey waters
-0.90 miles with 5 buoys
-Didn't make it fine to first buoy
-Can't breath
-I have a swim angel on a kayak
-Ten seconds of doubt but I did not give up
-Ten freestyle strokes at a time  between the breast, back and side stroke I did, my angel swim angel encouraged, but not sure if me or the other two who I was competing for last.
-Finish swim flags and I don't even want to run to my bike where mine is one of four left
-My bike, funner than the first half and I met a new friend
-Bike finish, run shoes and IRLAG hat straight on and to finish line left vs right.
-Race announcer made it sound like I was FAST. No I'm just last!

That was my race. Dead F...n Last.
I was somewhat depressed on the drive home and the next morning. My bike ride with a friend perked me up  abit. But it still stings. I'm really trying to learn from this and use it to be better in the future and move on. That was a scary swim though. I wish I had done the one visualization thing that I usually do for open water swim nervousness and I didn't do it. But I did make it through that tough swim. I knew God had my back and I did not quit.
This was not from lack of swimming. I just did a swim just fine a couple weeks ago. (This is what I tell myself)
My first DFL and you know what? I feel good about it. I actually feel like it's an honor. Humbled I am. Third place out of three in my Age Group, and I get a medal anyway.
I also questioned out there in the water if this is what I should be doing. I hate swimming, but I do love triathlon. 
70.3 Ironman World Championship St. George 2021! or bust. 











No comments:

Post a Comment