Monday, July 6, 2015

19 Days!




Ninteen more days till Ironman Canada at Whistler! The 2015 Athletes guide has just been published. I have read the 2014 at least half a dozen times and I will read the updated one at least that many times as well. As I was reading over it the butterflies started. This is it! So excited! I feel like my life is revolving around this event. In no time it will be here and Alfredo and I will be crossing the Canadian border on our way. 

The race is Sunday, July 26th. I took the Thursday before and the Monday and Tuesday after off from work. Contrary to my husbands beliefs this is my vacation. His idea of vacation is on a beautiful beach somewhere with sand in your toes. Well, I will be swimming and it will be beautiful. 

Do I look hot and tired?
This past weekend was a big training block for me. Saturday I had Martha Lake Open Water Swim race. Sharon B and I did the 2 miler. We each had a PR from last weekends race! The weather was fantastic! I wore my wetsuit and Sharon went with skins. (We learned at last weekends race that this is the lingo for going without wetsuit. hehe ) I'm not comfortable going without. This 2 miles was big for me because last year at the first of the swim series I didn't even make it to the first buoy of my 1 mile race, there are five buoys. I had an asthma and panic attack and this was the very first Did Not Finish (DNF) races I have had. I finished up the next two of the series last year with finishing the 1 milers. Fear did not have me not try again! Now I'm swimming 2 miles! 
June 27th OWS race at Martha Lake. I'm the one on the very very far right away from everyone else.
Finishing my first 2 mile OW swim! Sharon and our new friend Kristi cheering me to the finish!

New friend Kristi, Sharon and I.

June 27th


After the swim race on Saturday I needed  my last long run. It was hot and 20 miles was calling me. I made sure I ran where I could wet my sun-sleeves and hat. Love my sun-sleeves! They were a life saver. No sunburn and kept me cool. It was the 4th of July and I had to run around Lake Stevens to see all the action of people having fun at the lake. When I got back to were my car was parked I still had a little over 2 miles left! Oh I hate this! I ran back and fourth and passed my comfy car about four times before I hit my Garmin at 20 miles. Oh joy! I turned on my car and air conditioner and laid out on a towel on the grass till my car cooled and I felt I could drive. My post run selfie tells it all. 

Sunday I needed 100 miles on my bike. I had all season wanted to bike to La Conner and I did it! I went from my house in Granite and road part of the 70.3 IM course. Weird having your name called from behind 20 minutes after you start. It was my friend Sherry riding the course! Came to a point were she had to go left and I went right. Saw other friends out there too. Even had someone going down a step hill cheering me on as I went up! Thanks! 

The scenery from the end of Centennial Trail to La Conner was awesome! When I got there I realized that if I tried to ride all the way back home it would put me at about 119 miles. I texted my husband to pick me up at Lake Stevens at 2:30. Thanks babe! We would not have made the movie if I tried to bike home, up hill! 
La Conner waterfront

Ate dinner late Sunday and as I was forcing the last bites down I got dizzy. The weekend training was and my body was telling me to pack it in for the night. I passed out in bed with my pups just before 9 pm and got my coffee the next morning right after 8 am. Eleven hours sleep! Rest and recoup. 

I will try to write more now that it's this month!  So super excited! Thanks all for the support. Can't wait to write from Whistler!

More photos

Our friend Kenny swam on July 4th too!

No comments:

Post a Comment