Friday, July 3, 2015

Kona to Boston






     What are my future plans? I really want to keep doing this training and racing thing for as long as I can. I try to make plans for events a year or two in advance. Sometimes it takes that long just to train for a race! I am the kind of person who likes to plan and keep something on the horizon. My number one plan right now is to do what I can to reach my goal of qualifying and going to the Kona Ironman Championship some day. This first Ironman at Whistler on July 26th is a big stepping stone to see what I am really made of and if it would be doable to keep trying. If I fail to make it as a top age grouper this whole experience though will let me know if I got what it takes and to keep trying to reach my goal. Kinda cool! Yes, yes Coach Mary, even just finishing would be amazing but I can’t help to look farther past that. My mental toughness will be tested as well. Anyway, I would be thrilled to qualify this month. I have time goals I want to reach and I’m hopeful. 

     If I don’t qualify for Kona this year then I will set my sights on Boston Marathon again. I really want to go back. That city has left something on my heart and I want to see it again. My traveling buddy, Stephanie from 2013 who did not run but was a great support and cheering crew for her friends has now qualified and plans to go back to Boston in 2016 and I feel I need to go too. I will have seven weeks to train and to run the Tunnel Lite Marathon in September. Since I had already run a marathon at IM then piece of cake, right? I have got to stay healthy and then I think I can do it. Of course I may throw in a triathlon here and there. J

New shoes: I really wanted the Hoka’s to work. Took them back again to Road Runner Sports, again They took them back even a week after the 90 wear guarantee! Love them! I now wear Saucony’s. They are actually pretty nice. Here's a picture of what I wear.





Zealot ISO, Oxygen / Twilight / Citron, dynamic


Nutrition quicky:  Like some, I am a poor athlete. I try to get my nutrition as cheaply (and cleanly) as I can. Now that I'm biking longer rides I needed to find something for protein and carbs which is compact and not too expensive as well as does not have lots of junk in it. I found that Hammer Nutrition product Perpetuem is great. The cheapest I have found it is through Running Warehouse and with a discount from Marathon Mania's and free shipping. Its the 32 ounce powder and will be using it for a while. I calculated my weight and duration with how many scoops per large water bottle. Five scoops is working good. If I go longer than 60 miles I bring a little more in a baggy and fill up the bottle with water from a fountain. (This was more than just a quicky. Sorry about that. New name; Nutrition Paragraph.

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/Hammer_Perpetuem_32-Servings/descpage-HP32.html


My bike fit expert Todd brought up the subject of bike seats and women at out last session. This one is going to be hard to bring up! This is stuff that your mamma never told you about! See what I'm dealing with now while training for my first IM! Using Google I have found suggestions and remedies. Oh boy! I will leave it at that. Click the link.

http://www.runladylike.com/2012/10/04/the-ugly-truth-about-cycling-saddle-sores/

One more thing. I love training in this really hot weather. I just think about how hot it gets in Kona and I'm acclimating.

Happy Summer!



No comments:

Post a Comment